The White Castle chain is 90 years old, so it could be excused for moving a bit slowly, as it historically has done on the menu and marketing fronts. But last year the chain showed some surprising liveliness by testing three new dining concepts: Deckers Grilled Sandwiches, Blaze Modern BBQ and an Asian/Italian concept called Laughing Noodle. Now the company is focusing on White Castle itself.
First, the home of the 2-inch-square Slider serves an expanded breakfast menu, beginning now at midnight. And to its credit, White Castle manages to assemble not just one or two but 10 items for breakfast (which the chain is serving after midnight):
● The Sausage Egg & Cheese breakfast sandwich (at left) with fresh-cracked egg on its 2-inch steamed bun, or on wheat toast (at right; not available in all locations).
● The Bacon, Egg & Cheese sandwich (with hickory-smoked bacon) on the steamed bun on wheat toast.
● The Egg & Cheese sandwich on steamed bun or wheat toast.
● The Sausage & Cheese sandwich on a steamed bun or wheat toast.
● Hash Rounds bite-size potatoes.
● French Toast Sticks with syrup.
White Castle also noticed that every other burger chain is “re-imaging” and remodeling, and so it, too, has a sleek new dining-room prototype. Columbus Business First reports that the latest updated design is on view in a Lewis center, Ohio, location. The brand basics are still there, but the feel is a bit more modern. And the 90-year-old square burger tradition continues.